This week Ben was travelling to CA for business and I was faced with the daunting task of taking care of the household and the 3 kids by myself for the week. Since I am exhausted by the time Ben gets home each night I thought it necessary to call in reinforcements and get some temporary help. Phyll (my Mom) and Conrad (my Aunt Connie) to the rescue.
Phyll and Connie packed up and headed down to Louisville on Sunday afternoon. My Mom realized quickly that she was under the weather and should not have come after all. She was in bed most the time they were here and unable to visit with her grand kids much. Lucky for me Great-Aunt Connie rose to the challenge and gave me a lot of help and support with the boys and baby.
I have been informed though that there may be an impending law suit. Apparently Aubrey's demanding way of being held has left Connie bedridden with a sore back and is seeking punitive damages. Gramma unfortunately did not help our case when she claimed to have had a similar experience after a visit from Aubrey to her house. On top of the fact the I am getting back treatments and adjustments weekly now, the liable party is becoming very clear. Luckily for Aubs she has no assets of value so unless someone wants her crib or a size 6-9 months tunic and stretch leggings, they are out of luck. Aubrey is however showing remorse and has improved on her need to be held.
Temp help is always appreciated in every form. My first temp in the business world came in everyday with her cute little blue rain bonnet, promptly on time, and was a very cheerful older lady. While I thought she was just super slow at all the tasks I had given her, she actually was writing a "how-to" instruction book on each thing she accomplished. Not that it was ever used again, but her intentions were good.
Although all the workload from the position that the temp is filling in for does not usually get completed, having someone there to support you and keep you going is usually enough. I am very grateful for all the help that family and friends have provided us when Ben is travelling or busy at work. From Reeni living with me in Chicago while Ben was on an internship in MI and I was pregnant with the twins, Maggie using every vacation and lots of her summer vacation from teaching to come and stay with her nephews and niece, Cousin Nat driving almost 10 hours to pick us up to go to our grandfather's funeral, the Michigan Grandparents allowing us to crash their small condos in MI or FL when Ben is gone for long periods of time, Uncle Seth waking up with the boys everyday while they slept in his room on Christmas vacation allowing us to sleep in(even though he showed them the Sponge Bob Sq Pants show!) and Grammy coming to stay and help when babies are born and doing everything that I would have had to do in the house and taking on a lot on the night wakings when we are at our wits end.
Temp Help has allowed us to survive the past couple years and hopefully we can offer similar help to our family or show appreciation for all they do.
3 comments:
Where is Ben's resume?
Missi! I found your blog through Stephanie's. COngrats on the new baby and good luck with the sleep issues. Ruby (our #2) had sleep issues until a month ago... she is 19 months old. :) We miss you in Logan Square. take care.
all your kiddos honestly have the most beautiful eyes!!!!
Post a Comment